Re: FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

William Hooper wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:
[snip]

Bugs in the RPM packages yes, bugs in the install environment, no.

[snip]

The install environment wouldn't change.

[snip]

If the install environment won't change, then you can't use an updated
kernel or X during the install, let alone an updated version of
Anaconda.

[snip]

My knowledge of anaconda is about zero.  I assumed when I responded
that anaconda would look at package x and install it if selected.  Now if
that isn't the case then my answer is wrong.

[snip]

Anaconda is just a program that needs an environment to run on.  The
version of the kernel used on the install disks determines what hardware
is supported.  Any bugs causing issues booting the install disk will most
likely need an updated kernel _for anaconda to run on_ to fix it.

X is needed for a graphical install.  If there is an issue with the
graphics support during the install, then an updated X is needed _for
anacanda to run on_ to fix it.

Now if Anaconda is just a program, then how hard is it to tell Anaconda to use the new packages instead of the old ones? What difference is there if I use the latest released packages for an install over packages that are almost a year old?

X is updated when you type in "yum update all" after an install. Why can't the DVD be the latest version of X?

I am responding in generalities and using specifics as examples. Sorry if that is lost in the communication.

In general, the idea is to have an ISO that has a pretty recent set of patches and updates on it. As others have posted, there is almost a gig of updates to perform after a new install at this time. I don't know about you but for me that is a pain.

Think of this as a way to make Linux easier for those newbs that don't understand.

A simple question is;

How hard is it to make an ISO that only changes the versions of the packages included? Keep it simple.

--
Robin Laing