Re: best/favorite/easiest to use DVD player..

--On Monday, October 24, 2005 7:26 PM -0400 "Amadeus W. M." <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, I forgot to mention, mplayer does not play menus (forget about xine),
but that's a feature that command line fanatics (such as the mplayer
developers, or myself) like. Go directly to the movie. If I remember
correctly oggle did play the menus, and kaffeine (which I forgot to
mention in my previous post) does that too. And so does vlc.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. In this case I was watching the disk that had the last few episodes plus all the bonus material, and so I needed some way to select which item I wanted to watch. There was no single "movie", so mplayer/xine jumped into the short intro video, which was pretty useless.

Knowing that they're oriented at command line users (I qualify) I now know to check the docs to look for some way to select which component to play on the command line, instead of trying to launch from the Gnome menu and expecting an application menu to provide that. It's somewhat misleading to see the fancy "skin" on those apps that makes it look like a physical DVD player and find that it lacks a way to choose which item to play. That's not a complaint, just a gotcha to warn new users about when recommending a player to avoid frustration.

(BTW, the bonus material for Firefly is pretty good stuff.)