Re: best/favorite/easiest to use DVD player..

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:21:09 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:01 PM -0400 "Amadeus W. M."
> <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Both xine and mplayer are players, they do not modify the files, so in
>> particular you can't add information, etc. For viewing they are both good
>> viewers, and the defaults are fine, and so is vlc (video-lan client).
>> I liked oggle too, but for some reason it disappeared from FC4.
>
> I wanted to watch my new Firefly boxed set, so I tried both xine and
> mplayer, and neither displayed the opening menu, just the initial animation
> before the menu. I was able to play the disk with VLC on Win2k, though. I
> haven't had a chance to go back and try VLC on FC4 to see if it's any
> better.

Yes, I forgot to mention, mplayer does not play menus (forget about xine),
but that's a feature that command line fanatics (such as the mplayer
developers, or myself) like. Go directly to the movie. If I remember
correctly oggle did play the menus, and kaffeine (which I forgot to
mention in my previous post) does that too. And so does vlc.