seek referrals on distro howtos

I've been looking, and there are lots of pages on how to create a distro.
Sometimes, it's hard to separate the competent from the wannabes. Do any of
you who have actually created distros have some reading suggestions for a
beginner? I'm interested in creating a distro that is oriented to graphics
artists/media professionals - that comes up with the cutting edge packages
that are being developed, installed and basically configured, and provides
easy methods for keeping those packages updated as they develop. I'm thinking
of packages like Cinelerra, Jahshaka, Cinepaint, etc, when I say cutting
edge, though I'm also open to any suggestions on this front. Packages like
Inkscape, and the Gimp would be fairly simple to include, I presume.  I'm
welcome to being told, also, that this is too ambitious, but if you could
give reasons for why this is so, that would be great.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA