Re: Sharing files (ext. drive) with Windows from FC4

Tim:

>> Define untrusted...  Family with no technical knowledge, LAN with a
>> person you expect to cause you problems, LAN with people you don't
>> know on it, etc.

Arthur Pemberton:

> University network, publick IPs, Cisco routers between LAN and the
> "real world" and no network administrative privileges.

I'm not sure that SMB is a safe thing to do that way.  It wasn't really
designed for security.  Samba seems to give us more controls than
Windows does, but restricting access to certain IPs, for instance,
relies on the IPs that *they're* configured with, which can be changed
by them at will.

On the other side of the coin, Windows seems to love providing the
operators username and password to any SMB share its trying to connect
to.  Seems an easy way to reap people's details just by being on their
network.

I read messages from the public lists.