Sharing files (ext. drive) with Windows from FC4

What is the best way to share files with Windows users from FC4 over an untrusted LAN? It would be great to have the functionality of SMB but with the security of sftp. More specifically, it would be nice if a Windows user could open files (play music) directly from the remote drive.

I am interested in doing this for an external hard drive. I've already sucessfully done it with simply mounting it and sftp, but the process on Windows side was somewhat clumsy.

Thank you in advance.