Comparing directory recursively (with "tar" or something else)

Hello,
I have a directory which I have tar-ed a while ago. The content of that
directory has changed, more or less. I want to know what's changed (files,
sizes, etc). How do I compare that directory structure, with the one I have
in tar archive ? I tried to use the --diff option in tar but I am really
confused with it. Is there any other way ? I can un-tar my archive to a
different place, but then how do I recursively compare the two directory ?

Thank you for any help
RDB