Re: How to show Indian language text on a Button(Urgent)

At 2:47 PM +0530 10/19/05, Lalit Kumar wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want some help from the group.
>I am just creating a sample calculator that will have button with Indian
>language numbers on it. That everything on the calculator will be in
>indian languageHindi).
>I am able to create calculator using gtk library in english. But I am
>facing problem how to render Hindi text/number over the button.
>I have hindi OT fonts installed on my machine. I am using Red hat as well
>as fedora core 3.
>

>Can anybody help me out?
>Sample code for displaying hindi text or any Indian language text will
>help me a lot.

This isn't really the list for GTK questions.
place.  Search the list archives before posting there.  It may be that
their list search is as broken as Fedora List's; in that case try MARC or
Google:

    <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gtk-app-devel&r=1&w=2>

    Google: site:mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list hindi

Nevertheless, though I'm new to GTK programming (through Python), I think
that what you need to do is 1) use Unicode UTF-8, 2) after setting an
appropriate Locale (see man locale and locale -a).  Just setting the locale
to zh_CN.utf8 put my own program and gnome-calculator mostly into Chinese.
I did this by setting LANG in the shell:

    $ LANG=zh_CN.utf8 gnome-calculator

Unicode has all the Hindi numerals and with the proper locale (hi_IN.utf8?)
I expect that most C library routines that accept or print numeric strings
will handle them.