Re: panic after rsync

dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Mike,

From the old drive root (/) to the new drive root mounted at
/media/usbdisk, my rsync command line was:

   # rsync -avxvtzHP ./ /media/usbdisk

The "z" parameter is supposed to confine source files to the current
filesystem and ignore any that are mounted. These would include /proc,
/sys, and so on.

Strictly speaking, /dev isn't a mounted filesystem but I suppose it's
possible that some of its entries might not be precisely the same on a LVM
disk as a plain partitions disk. Is there a preferred way to regenerate
the /dev directory from scratch using MAKEDEV when booted to the Rescue
CD?

/dev is not like /proc. /dev has real data and a real structure.

Just to humor me, why don't you try this:

Boot the box off the rescue cd. Your current system image will be mounted as /mnt/sysimage

make a new mountpoint, say /mnt/new and mount your new filesystem structure under it.

cd to /mnt/sysimage

use this command to copy the old structure to the new structure

tar cf - . | ( cd /mnt/new ; tar xvf - )

then, you can chroot to /mnt/new and reinstall grub or whatever your bootloader is, make changes to /etc/fstab, or whatever needs to be done.

This is how I've moved systems from one disk to the other. Of course, I haven't been using LVM. You might need to boot off the CD again once you swap the new disk into the system to fix LVM issues.

Somehow I just don't think rsync is up to the task.

-Mike