Re: panic after rsync

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Mike Pepe wrote:

dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The 48G hard drive in my Thinkpad is throwing smartd errors, so I'm trying
to migrate my existing FC4 installation to one of those new 120G Seagate
Momentus drives. The difference between their sizes is giving me fits. I
tried prepping the new drive with LVM2 before running rsync, but I
couldn't mount its partitions with a temp USB2 connect because FC4
apparently can't handle two drives using identical lvm names.

Not surprising, if you think about it. So give the new volgroup a different name for now. Then you can change it back after you remove the old drive.

I just went through this, and it worked fine for me. The LVM HOWTO is extremely helpful in this regard.

Since all I need are the /boot, / and swap partitions I gave up on lvm and
tried the old fashioned way: /dev/hda1-3. The trouble is, when I rsync
everything over from the old to the new drive, some lvm contamination
seems to migrate along with my files.

I doubt it's LVM "migrating". rsync knows nothing of LVMs.

While booted with the Rescue CD I've:
 (1) Re-labeled the / and /boot partitions
 (2) Edited /etc/fstab to match the new disk's LABLELs
 (3) Run mkinitrd with "--omit-lvm-modules"
 (4) Re-run grub-install

Now the new disk boots thru grub, then panics after:
  Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
  ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
  error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
  error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
  error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
  WARNING: can't access (null)
  exec of init ((nul)) failed!!!: 14

Can anyone offer any insights into what is causing this and what needs
fixing? Thanks.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL

Mike Pepe could be right. If you didn't leave out the pseudo-file systems (dev, proc, selinux (I think), sys, when you copied, you might see odd behavior.

Also, check to see that you preserved symlinks when you copied. /etc/grub.conf, e.g., should be a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf.

I'm not sure this is the root cause of your issue, but if I were doing what you are doing, I'd be using dump/restore or tar, not rsync.

Maybe it's not copying your data correctly... dump and restore would probably be my first choice, as they read and restore on the filesystem level where the other solutions can cross mountpoints.

just a thought...

There are other ways to avoid crossing filesystem boundaries. The LVM HOWTO suggests using find (which can be told not to cross filesystems) and cpio. That worked fine for me.

-Mike

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences