Re: Thunderbird Date Format

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 10/15/05, Stuart Sears <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dotan Cohen enlightened us with the following gems on 14/10/05 06:08:

The Thunderbird mail client defaults to the mm/dd/yyyy date format. I
need to replace that with dd/mm/yyyy. I found the answer is to change
LC_TIME to my local setting (he_IL). But where is that stored? I
tried:
/etc/profile
~/profile
~/.profile
~/.bash_profile
~/.bashrc

and several others that turned up in searches. But none of them have
this setting. Where is it located in Fedora Core 4? Thank you.

have you tried system-config-language ?
I had this problem, but I hadn't noticed that GNOME was set to US
English (as I don't use it)
It seems that thunderbird uses the GNOME language/locale settings, so
changing that fixed it.

- --
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX

Thank you. I did:
$ export LANG="he_IL.UTF.8"
$ export LC_ALL="he_IL.UTF.8"

and then logged out and back in. That solved it- at least I have
dd/mm/yy. I'd really like dd-mm-yyyy but I guess that the Thunderbird
developers did not think that one could be so picky! But that's what
extensions are for, no?

Dotan
http://technology-sleuth.com/index.php

This comment doesn't just fit for Thunderbird but for Linux in general.

I prefer ISO date format under US or Canadian English as a system wide default. It would be nice to do this without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to achieve it.

It would be nice to have a choice in data/time setting or language settings similar to what is in (yech) Windows. Something that would allow setting the date format and choosing the time display format.

I tried mucking around in the date format settings but didn't get any success.

--
Robin Laing