Re: fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

Thomas Taylor wrote:
On Friday 14 October 2005 22:11, Dan wrote:

On Sat, October 15, 2005 12:37 pm, Bill Perkins wrote:

In the mean time, you could try booting into rescue mode (saw something
about that a few days ago on this list) using either the ISO image from
the Fedora website, or you can get there with the first disk of the
distro's set. If you can get that far, write down the /etc/fstab file
that is (hopefully) generated when booting into rescue mode (I haven't
tried this as yet, although I may give it a shot just to see what we wind
up with). If that doesn't work, I'd try running fdisk -l to get a list of
the disks and partitions, and work from memory and poking around (mount
the partitions one at a time and examine them) to build a new fstab.
FWIW, here is what mine looks like:

Hey Bill,

I did boot into rescue mode again and managed to reconstruct my
/etc/fstab. After a few reboot attempts i think i have managed to rebuild
fstab to its former glory.

Posting this from the formerly unbootable machine.

BTW i do actually take regular backups of /etc, just not this machine. I
guess that will change now :)

I wonder if it would be feasable to have fstab-sync take a backup of
/etc/fstab, or perform some sanity tests (ie there is a /, /proc, /sys
etc) before making changes? Any thoughts/comments?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan:

Intrigueing idea, but not directly applicable. "fstab-sync" is an elf binary, not a script so not easy to change.

But you COULD write a script to copy or rename the /etc/fstab file and then call the "/usr/sbin/fstab-sync" program.
Tom

That's the way I'd go as well, unless you want to have at the source for fstab-sync. But, from what I've seen, the *nix way of doing things is keeping the tools simple and gluing them together with scripts ;-)

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.