Re: can't set 60hz v refresh rate

At 4:56 PM -0500 10/15/05, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 13:31 -0400, sean wrote:
>> Jiann-Ming Su wrote:

>> > Set both VertRefresh and HorizSync to match your monitor's spec.  For
>>example:
>> >
>> >   Section "Monitor"
>> >           Identifier      "Monitor1"
>> >           VendorName      "Dell"
>> >           ModelName       "1704FPVt"
>> >           HorizSync       30-81
>> >           VertRefresh     56-76
>> >           Option          "DPMS"
>> >   EndSection
>> >
>> > X will figure out what the refresh rate should be.
>> >

>> Yes. That's the problem. It's choosing 75hz, while i want
>> 60. And yes, of course, I have the horizsync set. In any
>> event, in your conf it doesn't matter because dpms is set.
>>
>> X is choosing the *wrong* refresh rate. How do I specify it?
>>

>change the VertRefresh above to something like
>           VertRefresh     56.0 - 60.0
>or if you want it to be only 60 then
>           VertRefresh     60.0 - 60.0
>will work.
>
>This is what I had to do when mine tried to use the default settings but
>would never allow use of the maximum resolution for the monitor unless
>it was at 60.0.  My default was also the 56.0 - 75.0 range.

I'm way out of my depth here (and don't even have an LCD display), but from
a disscussion on another mailing list about modelines, it may be that the
timings being computed are allowing more time in retrace than is really
needed by LCDs, resulting in a dot-clock that is too high for the LCD.  I
don't really know what to do about it, but it may be a clue.  The gtf
program that Stuart mentioned shows "extra" timings that might profitably
be tweaked if one knew how.