Re: American Date in Thunderbird

On 10/15/05, Thomas Taylor <linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 14 October 2005 02:25, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > The Thunderbird mail client defaults to the mm/dd/yyyy date format. I
> > need to replace that with dd/mm/yyyy. I found the answer is to change
> > LC_TIME to my local setting (he_IL). But where is that stored? I
> > tried:
> > /etc/profile
> > ~/profile
> > ~/.profile
> > ~/.bash_profile
> > ~/.bashrc
> >
> > and several others that turned up in searches. But none of them have
> > this setting. Where is it located in Fedora Core 4? Thank you.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> > IE-Only.com
>
> Hi Dotan:
>
> What you have is the US default date format and what you want is the European
> date format.
>
> I use Kmail under KDE 3.4.2 and it has a setup setting for date display
> format.  Never used T'bird so don't know what it has.  Does it have a setting
> in the setup dialog box for appearance?  That's where it is in Kmail.
>
> Sorry I can't help more.
>
> Tom
>
> I goofed.  Pressed the send before I had finished.
>
> Have you tried looking in the hidden directories of your home partition?
> ~/.kde, ~/.gnome, ~/.thunderbird?
>
> --
> Tom Taylor

Thanks, Tom. I had posted twice as my first post didn't go through
right away (it went through five hours after I sent it!). In that
thread, I was informed that Tbird only considers the gnome settings,
so fixing the KDE settings was not affecting it. I wonder what it does
if gnome is not installed?!? In any case, entereing as user:
$ export LANG="he_IL.UTF.8"
$ export LC_ALL="he_IL.UTF.8"

gave me dd/mm/yy. I'd really like dd-mm-yyyy but I guess that the
Thunderbird developers did not think that one could be so picky! But
that's what extensions are for, no?

Dotan
http://technology-sleuth.com/index.php