Re: Grisoft Predicts Linux Virus Plague

Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 01:48:45PM -0500, P. Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, taharka wrote:

Read all about it at:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2143697/grisoft-warns-linux-virus

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

I think many antivirus companies are struggling to find their nitch now that M$ has announced their own virus/security product to be sold to help fill their self created holes.

I am as big a linux advocate as anyone on a Fedora list, but most of the
phish servers out there seem to be improperly maintained linux based
machines. If you happen to scan the phish tarball often left behind some
of them will detect the server side phish components and most will add
detection if you send the tarball to them.

How does one detech a phish tarball? chkrootkit? tripwire or analogs?
Any other tools?

This would be an avenue for these companies to have a market, if they can convince the same folks who don't maintain their linux boxen today to purchase or run virus protection.

Gee, if they aren't going to apply the free updates the Linux
community tends to provide at no charge, I'm skeptical that they will
buy anti-cracking software.

One of my clients still runs an old version of Linux because newer
versions of the same disty "aren't supported". I haven't been able to
get it across that neither is the version he's using. I don't think
he's a likely candidate for this sort of product.

Also, the best security does not consist of detecting that you've been
cracked, and then fixing it. It is not being cracked, and that means
applying your updates assiduously.

This is also why I eat buffalo, not beef. Buffalo do not engage in
cannibalism, hence are not candidates for BSE.

On another note..did anyone viewing the nominated url look for the 'free linux avg' software,I couldn't find it...

    david