Re: Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

> > Not true, partitions' foremost reson to exist is the necessity to
>
> Sorry, I was speaking of how they came to be historically, not
> what other uses people have found for them.

Maybe in DOS world...  On UNIX, since 1970, when its first ATT flavor was
initially introduced, the reason was the one that I mention.

> IMO, given the price of discs these days, that is better handled by
> separate discs, rather than partitions.

But there is no way to put a filesystem on a disc without a partition!  Not
for historical reasons, but because it is more useful, more flexible, and
more secure that way.  A volume manager (such as Linux's LVM) can span
several disks, but there still has to be at least one partition.  Besides,
you already said you did not like LVM.

Changing the subject here, could you share with the list what were the
problems that you earlier encountered with LVM?

Thanks.

--Marcin