Re: Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Marcin Struzak wrote:
[...snip...]

Well, you have a passion for partitions that I do not have.
Partitions have existence due to two things
(1) limited addressing ability in the BIOS
(2) desire to run multiple OS on the same disc

Not true, partitions' foremost reson to exist is the necessity to

Sorry, I was speaking of how they came to be historically, not
what other uses people have found for them.

separate parts of the filesystem that grow at different rates and that are of different criticality to the system; on a server /var is separate from /, so that if your print spool queue goes bananas and fills up the entire disk-space (in its partition), it does not affect the rest of the system. You can set-up user quotas to limit the growth of /home, but on a large network with many users /home would certainly be mounted separately from a volume manager that can be grown on-the-fly.

IMO, given the price of discs these days, that is better handled by
separate discs, rather than partitions.

I thought you did say before, that you don't want the CD images from /tmp to use up space in /. That's why you are moving it off to a different partition.

Erm, no. I'm not moving to a "different partition". I'm moving to a
different disc. Not the same thing. If it weren't for the current
load of software in existence which *insists* on having a partition,
on a disc, even if it's all one big giant piece, and not really
being split up, I wouldn't need a partition on the new disc. That is
an historical anomaly.

Not because of limited BIOS addressability, which, btw, is only important for /boot (and that's also why /boot is usually in its own partition); the kernel's addressing capability is totally independent.

Umm, I *did* mention that (1) above is pretty much only of historical
interest.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.