Re: how to drive infocus projector from hi-res dell laptop running FC4?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

 i want to give a short demo off of my dell inspiron 9100 (LCD
1920x1200 resolution), so i hooked up its video port to an infocus
projector and, not surprisingly, the native resolution of the laptop
is overwhelming the projector (you can sort of see the screen image
but it's not pretty).

If you have multiple modes in the display section in your xorg.conf you should be able step through them using control-alt-plus and minus the viewport will be a small fraction of the 1920x1200 display (you'll be able to fly around using the mouse) but it works.

When I have to do presentations (I have an inspiron 6000 with 1920x1200 display) I typically run a another xserver on display :1 with a viewport/resolution that natively matches that of the projector (either 800x600 or 1024x768) that way I edit my presentations on display :0 and switch over to :1 when it's time to plug into the projector and present.

 i don't even need the X session -- doing the demo from a simple
character virtual console would be just fine, but that also is sort of
mangled -- recognizable but mangled.

 is there a way to, i guess, step down the resolution being sent to
the projector?  thanks.

rday

p.s.  like most inspirons, this one has the "Fn" and F8/"CRT-LCD" keys
for signal switching.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx