Re: FC4 Dell Optiplex GX270, problems???

Yuandan Zhang wrote:

Hi,

I plan to install FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX270. I juest check if there are preblems with this indtallation, because, there was preblem with vedio card when installing FC2. there were some fixes, such downgrade bioA03 to A02, or some 885patch. please share your stories.

Yuandan

I have a Dell Optiplex where I had to upgrade the BIOS to A04. (BIOS A03 really sucked.)

Also, you have to change a few settings in BIOS. One of the settings is referred to as "legacy video". It is set to 1MB by default. You need to change it to 8MB.

Another video setting refers to the amount of video memory your system can share. I set my setting to 128MB. I believe there was a setting where you could choose up to 256MB.

Regarding the need for patches, I do not use one and it works decent with 3D graphics. There was a period where X would pop and leave residue on your monitor but not be active which needed a reboot to set the video hardware to a normal state. The lockup was random. This lockup was however fixed when the i810 driver was broken for the Intel 815 series video. Since the breakage and through the fix, the 865G video has worked great except for the recent blank terminals which is now fixed. Also through the PCI problem with the snafu in xorg released a short while ago.

If you have the 865G or something close in the Intel graphics series, you should be alright.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.