Re: system lock up

chris wrote:
Hi all,

I am somewhat at a loss for how to debug this problem.

Basically my system locks up, its a workstation grade Xeon I do development on, essentially, the screen (in X) freezes, the keyboard locks, the network locks (it stops responding to ping). The only visible indicator I get when it freezes is sometimes, I see a 4 or 5 pixel high band of grey/brown that spans the width of the window I am currently working in.

I dont see anything out of the ordinary that something is wrong, I can let the system sit for days and it runs fine, but when I start doing work on it, I start seeing the freezes (it froze up twice in about 3 hours today). But sometimes I can work several days in a row without a problem.

I would like any ideas on how to debug this.
Thanks in Advance
chris

My System:
Motherboard: IWill DP533
Processors: Dual 2.4GHz Xeon 533MHZ processors
Video: ATI Radeon 6500LE
Hard Drive: several small external SCSI Hard drives
Memory: 1G RAM
O/S: Fedora Core 4

thanks in advance.

I just got over a similar problem and my fault was traced to a insufficient power supply. Changed from 400 to 500 watt and no lockups.

I checked with a power calculator and it showed that I needed about 440 watts.

Do the Math to Get Your PC All the Power It Needs
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119585,pg,2,00.asp

--
Robin Laing