Re: Sharing files (ext. drive) with Windows from FC4

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 14:51, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> On 10/12/05, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:39 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>         > Not really, I was more concerned about passwords. For some
>         reason, I
>         > assume them to be transimitted as clear text, correct me if
>         I am
>         > wrong. More importantly, how safe is samba on an untrusted
>         LAN?
>
>         They're only transmitted that way if you want them to
>         be.  Samba is
>         under your control.

Yes, windows hasn't sent plaintext passwords without a registry change
since some service pack in the mid-90's.  A side effect is that you
now need to make a separate smbpasswd entry.

> Ok fair enough. Can I do Samba without a workgroup etc?  (I have used
> samba, but only in the more general workgroup/domain/lan form)

Sure - if you use share level security you can see the shares
without authenticating at all and only authenticate when you
connect.  With user level you won't be able to browse the shares
unless you log in, but if you know the share name you can still
map it and get the login/password prompt.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx