Automounting removable ide hd on boot

I have a FC3 machine with one drive bay dedicated to a removeable ide hard
disk. When this disk is available, FC3 will detect it and the partitions
as /dev/hddx. I can edit /etc/fstab to attempt to mount at boot, and live
with boot time error messages when the disk isn't available, but FC3 would
like to rewrite that file via HAL.

What I would like to do is have HAL look at boot time, and mount any found
partitions. I've looked around, and haven't found a clue or incantation to
do this. Am I trying to do something I shouldn't attempt, or if I should
attempt it I need a pointer or six.

HALP!

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown