Thunderbird kills sound -

I have recently lost sound and can only get it to run if I stop Thunderbird. It has always worked until about a week ago.

When I run "system-config-soundcard" and click on the test button I hear nothing and get the following error message:

amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM-2',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control 'DRC Range',0

Usually, but not always, closing Thunderbird will cause the sample chord to play as expected. To run a .wmv in mplayer I must first close Thunderbird or mplayer will report an error with sound.

I tried removing Thunderbird and reinstalling it from the rpm but saving the old Mail files to keep the mail filters and messages. That seemed to restore things to normal but within a day sound was out again.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this. I guess I can live without sound but it should work.
uname -a
Linux box1 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 #1 Fri Aug 26 20:29:51 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thunderbird   version 1.0.6-1.1.fc4

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob Goodwin   w2bod   Zuni, Virginia