FC4 post-yum message "Kernel panic -- not syncing: Attempted to k ill init!"

What would cause this message to occur after a fresh loading of FC4 in the
desktop mode with SELinux and iptables enabled, and a full yum update?

Well over 470 MB of packages were downloaded by yum. Kernel is updated from
2.6.11 to 2.6.13 and there is an SELinux update too.  After the update, the
system still runs OK, but won't survive a reboot. Since I can't get it to
boot, I can't get into the logs to see what went wrong.

While I'm waiting for an answer here, I'll probably do a fresh reload of
FC4, and then yum the kernel and the SELinux updates separately to see if
one of them is the culprit.  If not those, then I'll yum the rest and check
the logs before doing anything else.

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information System Security Engineer
SETA, Transformational Satellite Program
SAIC, Columbia, MD 21046