Re: Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

I guess I didn't make myself quite clear on this point. I want ONE (1)
ONE partition on the new disc. I don't want an explicit limit on either
/home or /tmp. I want them to share the disc. So a major part of my
question really revolves around whether I can make /tmp be a
soft link to /home/tmp when /home is a mount point for another
fs.

I have never tried it, but I can't see why this cannot be done; both /home and /tmp would be loaded from fstab, and should be available quite early on. The only problematic moment is definitely at boot time, so the good thing is that you'll find out something's screwed up at the first reboot after repartitioning!

But -- just curious -- why would you want to do that this way? I am migrating my partitions to

  /
  /boot
  /usr
  /home
  /var

so that /tmp comes with /, and really is available right at the beginning, when / is mounted; just like /etc. I've also seen /usr/local being loaded from another partition, and /opt, but these are more Solaris-like setups, Fedora does not put much into /usr/local.

--Marcin