Re: Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

leam@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Easier way.

Thanks for the kind reply.

1. Add the new disk, partition it however you want. 2 partitions, one for /home, one for /tmp. Make the filesystems.

I guess I didn't make myself quite clear on this point. I want ONE (1)
ONE partition on the new disc. I don't want an explicit limit on either
/home or /tmp. I want them to share the disc. So a major part of my
question really revolves around whether I can make /tmp be a
soft link to /home/tmp when /home is a mount point for another
fs.

2. As root, cp -Rp things over. Best to have as little activity as possible. That is, not running X, not getting e-mail.

Umm, this is not adequate. It does not preserve ownership,
group membership, etc. The man page gives, perhaps,

--preserve=all

But it's ambiguous. I'd rather make a tarball and be sure.

3. Make a backup copy of /etc/fstab and then edit the new one to point to the new /dev/hdb/??.

4. Re-boot.  If something is amiss you have the old ones to recover to. If, after a week or so you've not needed them you can resue the space.

Try hitting return from time to time.

My questions revolve less around the exact mechanics of making
it happen, than the reasonbleness of the desired goal.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.