Re: remove a program compiled from source

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 12:27:35PM -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> Hi folks:
>

> I am working my way through the installation of a QMAIL server following
> the procedures outlined at QmailRocks.org.  as I was working, I
> inadvertently mistyped one of the configure strings (in this case for
> QmailAdmin) and didn't catch the error till after I had already run the
> configure and make && make install-strip.  I corrected my config string
> and reran the config and the make and make install-strip, but I am not
> sure that that was the right process,  I would like to back out the
> installation at the point where I messed up and try it again from
> scratch.  I know that using RPM files you can do an rpm -e and it will
> remove the offending program, but I don't know how to do it in this case
> which is compiled from source.  If anyone can suggest a procedure, and
> /or point me at a reference, it would be greatly appreciated.
>

> TIM

I know of no general procedure. I f you are lucky associated with
some packages is a make uninstall followed by a make clean.
Then the make could be run again. If these make targets are not
present then maybe this will work.
If you run make install again and capture the output then you can find
out where things were installed. You may not have to remove the files
as long as the make install just copies things.
Freshening the source code with a touch
command should allow you to rerun the make from the beginning.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484