Re: fedora boot problem (grub?)

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Alex @ Avantel Systems wrote:

Although my bios recognized my scsi disks, my Fedora install needed me to
load
drivers manually otherwise the scsi disks were not found.  After that, the
install completes without further problems.  I asked that grub be used and
installed on the mbr.

After reboot I get "Operating System not found".

Using linux rescue (again with noprobe so I can load the driver), I tried
rewriting to the boot sector and although grub claims success, the results
are the same - can't boot.  I've tried copying stage 1&2 to a floppy to
make it do the boot but I get a grub prompt after stage 2 is loaded.

The driver I needed during install is listed in modprobe.conf (aic7xxx)
and I have tried re-creating initrd in various configurations
(--preload=aic7xxx, --omit-raid-modules, etc) all with the same result -
can't boot

I would have thought this error message meant the machine
was not reading the MBR,
and that the solution lay in the BIOS settings.

That message is displayed by the MBR.

The alternative is that you have not actually installed grub
on the correct disk.

Or into one of the partitions, instead of into the MBR.

I'm no boot expert, but as I understand it
the machine has to read the MBR _before_ it loads kernel or driver.

That's exactly right.

I've written a little tutorial which, if there is interest, I could
post here. I originally composed it for the Debian user's group.

But it's really OS independent (mostly).

Incidentally, I would install grub with "grub-install --recheck /dev/sda"
or even try running grub interactively,
to make sure it understands your disk setup.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.