fedora boot problem (grub?)

Although my bios recognized my scsi disks, my Fedora install needed me to load
drivers manually otherwise the scsi disks were not found.  After that, the
install completes without further problems.  I asked that grub be used and
installed on the mbr.

After reboot I get "Operating System not found".

Using linux rescue (again with noprobe so I can load the driver), I tried
rewriting to the boot sector and although grub claims success, the results
are the same - can't boot.  I've tried copying stage 1&2 to a floppy to make
it do the boot but I get a grub prompt after stage 2 is loaded.

The driver I needed during install is listed in modprobe.conf (aic7xxx) and I
have tried re-creating initrd in various configurations (--preload=aic7xxx,
--omit-raid-modules, etc) all with the same result - can't boot

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions . . .  .

TIA

Alex
====

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.