Re: smp install

On Fri October 7 2005 3:43 am, Frantisek Rysanek wrote:
> On 3 Oct 2005 at 18:20, Alex @ Avantel Systems wrote:
> > Can someone point me to links that describe howto do a SMP install.  It's
> > an old system with Dual pentium II and scsi.  No luck with FC3 so far.
> >
> > Alex
>
> for me, old SMP PC's are somewhat spooky machines.
> The first SMP PC's that I put my hands on were
> Pentium III class machines, and they did have
> their quirks.

Funny that - I can't offer specific advice, but, I just built up a Centos box
on a dual 550 Xeon PIII machine. System drive was SCSI - I installed a PCI
IDE card and two 80 GB IDE drives and RAID'ed those as RAID 1 for data, as
well. The whole thing was trouble free. I had put MEPIS on it first, but
MEPIS didn't have a supported SMP kernel and when I tried their testing one I
lost access to my RAID. CENTOS4 is basically RHEL4 and is close to the
end-of-life FC3. We plan to turn this into a low traffic web server.

When you say 'no luck', you might get a better response if you describe
exactly what issues you're having. But, this is to let you know that it 'can'
work on something like what you're describing.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA