Re: Thanks re chess help.

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 02:37 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > Yup, it's called cheating :)
>
> Yes, well that had occurred to me.  That, or simply having grasped the
> rules of the game wrong...  But then I don't play, don't know the rules,
> so I can't look over her shoulder and spot the difference.

Afaik the eboard app (if that was what you used) does not allow you to
make invalid moves so I guess it follows traditional rules.

> Something like 25+ years ago, way back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, a
> friend of mine tried to teach me chess.  But my idea of enjoying myself
> is relaxing, not mental gymnastics.  Things are already complicated
> enough without inventing pastimes with complex rules.  ;-)

Indeed. I used to play about 30 years ago with my father. I got beaten
then and after I installed my eboard rpm I got beaten by gnuchess in a
whim. Even after retracting several silly moves which I only noticed
because gnuchess showed me all corners. That pretty much killed the fun
factor for me.

> Tetris is about my limit.  And yes, I did find out about the on-line
> games you can play in Linux (forgotten the name of it now, though).  I
> had quite a bit of fun with it shortly after installing the old Red Hat
> 8.0 Linux, playing against a friend and a couple of strangers.

I like the Gnome Mahjongg game but it does require your undivided
attention. Works for me when I need to take my mind of things for a
while. Perhaps the on-line game you mean is Freeciv? Last time I played
it it was quite entertaining and development seems to continue nicely
with a new release (2.0.6) about a week ago. You can install it with:
yum install freeciv. It's about 4.5Mb.

Regards,
Patrick