Re: Newbie: opening files form the command line

At 5:57 PM -0400 10/4/05, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>on 10/04/2005 12:45 PM Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>>>Not sure that's really what he needs. I'd rather suggest doing
>>>
>>>gnome-open phonenumbers.xls
>>>
>>>(For the actual file open.) No manpage for this tool, I think, but it's
>>>probably described somewhere in the help system.
>
>> Thanks, this is almost exactly what I am looking for. However, it uses
>> the gnome defaults.
>well, I'm not sure which defaults it is using, because when I do
>
>$gnome-open foo.txt
>
>emacs pops up, instead of gedit or whatever is in gnome by default.
>Is there any way to manage those preferences?

On my machine gnome-open of a .txt file opens in gedit.  When I right-click
on text-containing files in Nautilus, I'm never sure what what will be the
default choice, but "Text Editor" is always one of the choices.  That is,
I'm mystified as to how gnome is deciding what to use.