Re: set up a forward

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 18:16 -0700, Daniel Vogel wrote:
> I need to set up a .forward on one account, but it havent succed.
>
>  It's running on FC2 with dovecot.
>
> Any ideas?

You can do that one of 2 ways.
A)   create the .forward file in the users home directory with the new
email address in it. It is possible that ownership of the .forward is
important.  It is certain that sendmail and/or procmail must be able to
read the .forward file, so permissions may need to be checked.
B)   Make an entry in the /etc/aliases file for that user, then run
'newaliases' for the change to take affect.

Either of those 2 ways works.  A) can be done by the user, B) must be
done by root.  Either file can have one or many new addresses to forward
to.

Dovecot is a server and has no impact on forwarding. It provides for
reading mail via pop or imap from the server.
For more information see "man aliases".

HTH
Jeff