Re: GDM setup after update + Xorg update;

Mirco Scara wrote:
Hello again,
It seems as if I can't stop posting questions/problems since yesterday
but that's the way it's going a the moment with all these new broken
updates and fixes.
I incurred into a new problem with the new Login screen which after
being updated (GDM update from NRPMS) has completely stopped responding.

Are you aware of the fact that nrpms repository is filled with bleeding edge rpms? Maybe you would be better off using their mailing list.

Just in case : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=bleeding%20edge

I tried to execute various commands related to GDM in
the /usr/bin /usr/sbin directories and after a while I managed to get a
new login screen with blank background and a plain login window which
displayed the following message:

Various commands? Could you name them or try posting the output of the command 'history'

CONFIGURATION IS NOT CORRECT:
THE CONFIGURATION FILE CONTAINS AN INVALID COMMAND LINE. THE LOGIN
DIALOG SO RUNNING THE DEFAULT COMMAND. PLEASE FIX YOUR CONFIGURATION.

What does that mean. Where is this configuration file?
I managed to change the login screen after executing the
command /usr/bin/gdm restart but in the configuration window I found no
invalid command line.
After doing this all my icons reverted to default and all my keyboard
shortcuts stopped responding.
I then rebooted the machine and the login screen had gone back to the
default blue screen.
How am I to correct this?

Is there still a problem then? Do you only want the plain login? Try running gdmsetup as root.

The other question is:

Can anyone let us know as soon as possible when the fix for the Xorg
update is gonna be released?

Again, if the update comes from nrpms, you should probably try nrpms mailing list.

Thanks a lot

I hope at least I helped you a _little_ bit. :D

Mirco

StarQuake
--
for some how-to's and rpms visit my site    : http://solid.bounceme.net