SCSI TAPE drive on IDE Box

Title: SCSI TAPE drive on IDE Box

Hi,
I am planning to get an external Tape Drive to be used with my Desktop PC. This is an IDE supporting ASUS PC. I do not have SCSI ports or support on my PC.

Most of the latest support DAT tape drives in my region are SCSI based and I don't have a choice but to try and use a slot for a SCSI to PCI card- and then connect the device.

My question- has anyone of you done something similar (le me no!). How is the kernel support if I go for such a card.

Thanks!
Amar