Re: Nautilus/Gedit Auto root privledges

Tony Nelson wrote:

>When I need to use Gedit as root, I do:
>
>    $ su -
>    # gedit &
>    # exit
>
>(or maybe with a filename, "gedit foo &").  I haven't felt the need to set
>up sudo.
>
>This gives me a new Gedit (I usually have one running) and I can do things
>with it as root.  I haven't done this with Nautilus.

That's how I do it now. But I was wondering if there was a way to get
around loading through a shell.

>I do most of my browsing as a normal user (often just using less), and only
>become root when I /intend/ to change something.

That would work except there are directories that include config files
that are locked from users.
The same goes for some config files. I have to login/su as root to view
them or edit them. It would
be nice if I could just load the browser or text editor as SuperUser on
demand.
Much like KDE allows you to load the terminal as SU. Or any of the other
programs such as services,
or server control that allow root access, all of which ask for the root
PWD before loading. Which is fine.
It just beats having things loaded on top of things. I'm working on
limited resources in the CPU and
RAM dept. and that is my concern.

>I never log out and log in as root; I only "su -" as needed.

Same here for the most part. Unless I am doing something that would be
easier if logged in through the root account.

>The only things of value there may be your storage, your bandwidth, and
>your good name.

Well, that may be true if I made this an option for everyone everywhere,
but I am the only one who uses this computer
making a *local* exception to allow me to load the file browser or text
editor as root won't hurt much.
Of course I would not make this a global option or an option available
from remote. That of course would be asking for disaster.