Re: Mail server

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 15:25 +0530, Abilash Praveen M wrote:

> I have sendmail (iam not sure if sendmail is used to accept incomming
> emails) and I created a sub.thisbox.com in the local domains list. I
> think created an alias somone and asked it to send emails to my
> hotmail address. So, I assumed that when I send an email to
> someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx it would go to my hotmail address. But it
> doesn't happen to be so. I don't get a undelivered message.. but it
> seems to have gone into the queue for unknown reasons.

By local domains list, do you mean the file /etc/mail/local-host-names?
And you have sub.thisbox.com listed there?

Also, to enable sendmail to listen on other than loopback, you need to
edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file and look about 3/4 the way down for
the line below...

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

And add a dnl in front of that line such as below...

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

And if you have your alias setup to go a hotmail account, did you use
a .forward file in your user home dir or did you edit the /etc/aliases
file?

Just restart sendmail once that is all complete and you should be all
set.

> Can I request you please to help me out setting up my email server? I
> might need to also host my thisbox.com emails once I succeed with this
> sub. I might probably need pop3 access too. I found that centos was
> not very much helpful for me.. but i'm not sure if FC4 list would help
> me cuz I might sound too newbie????

And once you are ready and want to add thisbox.com, again just
edit /etc/mail/local-host-names and add it and restart sendmail and off
you go.

You'll have to use one of the programs that FC has to enable pop3, such
as dovecot or cyrus-imapd or whatever.

Hope this helps,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Everything is always harder, before it's easier!