I'm looking to setup a file server at home and seeking advice bef ore I buy.

I posted a thread on this to FedoraForum, but got only one response whom I
have to email back with some questions on their post, but I thought others
on the mailing list might have some opinions on this issue also.

Here's my original message from the forum.  I look forward to some good
discussion on this.

I'm about to reuse some old hardware to create a sizable RAID storage server
at home to get all the data I care about in one place and protected. The
hardware I'm going to use is an old P3 500MHz system I have which has an
A-Bit BE6 motherboard and 256 MB of RAM in it. If I don't have to replace
the motherboard that would be great, but if I must, I must.

I'm planning on running FC3 or FC4 on this box using two 40GB IDE drives
which will be software RAID1.  Also, I will be upgrading the RAM to 512MB.

I will be purchasing 5 300GB Seagate SATA hard disks
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148064) to be
housed in an AIC 5 bay hot swap disk chassis
(http://www.excaliberpc.com/AIC_AC_5SATA_BR-SS35_HOT-SWAP_/partinfo-id-55412
6.html). Please keep in mind the picture shown is in the wrong position.
The chassis is positioned so that the drives are seated vertically in the
case.  I'll also be sliding a fan under the chassis in the 5.25" slot for
additional cooling of the drives, and another fan to draw in air at the
bottom front of the computer case.  (The one reply I received in the forums
stated that I would have better luck with these Western Digital drives
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144394).  Any
thoughts on this drive versus the Seagate drives.  I was going to go with
Seagate since I've been having good luck with them and they offer a 5 year
warranty as opposed to the 3 years that Western Digital offers.

I'd also like some recommendations on a good SATA RAID controller to use
here. I was going to use the 3ware 9500S 8 port controller, but it's PCI64
and I don't think the A-Bit motherboard supports that, but if I have to get
a new Motherboard, then so be it.  Can someone recommend a good SATA RAID
controller that supports RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD and has full, on the fly, hot
swap drive support?

I also know that I'm going to need a new power supply to handle 7 disk
drives, so I'll be replacing the 200W unit with 400W one. Will this fry my
motherboard at all, or does it not matter?  (The one reply to my post
recommended this Thermaltake 480W unit -->
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153007)

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the scheme as a whole and thoughts on
the SATA controller card. If you've actually done something like this, I'm
very interested in your thoughts and comments on your experience the specs
of what you did. Hey, I'm interested in any thoughts on this at all.
Comments on the components I'm planning on using, alternatives you might
think are better, anything. The only components I'm really stuck on are the
drives as the Seagate SATA drives are pretty quiet. I will be keeping the
server in an unoccupied room, but I don't want to build a jet engine that I
can hear thoughout the house either.

Thanks,
Paul C.