Re: How to diagnose system freezes?

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:40:27 -0400, Steve Parker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running FC4 (with all updates) and I'm frequently experiencing total
> system freezes (i.e. my only option is to reset).  I highly suspect this
> has to do with a third-party kernel module (Contivity VPN client v3.3
> from Apani) as it seems to occur only when the VPN connection is active
> - even though the modules are always loaded.
>
> With no errors/messages in any of the system logs following a freeze
> (crash, lockup, insert-your-favorite-word-here), how does one go about
> diagnosing a problem like this?  It seems to be a common problem for
> many people (at least on fedoraforum.org).  Anyone?  Help would be
> greatly appreciated.  Is it worth submitting a bug to bugzilla if the
> Contivity modules are suspected?

For starters: look into enabling System Request keys, and see whether you
can get a reaction. Also keep running the machine with the screen
displaying the primary virtual console to see whether anything is logged
there.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4