How to diagnose system freezes?

Hi,

I'm running FC4 (with all updates) and I'm frequently experiencing total system freezes (i.e. my only option is to reset). I highly suspect this has to do with a third-party kernel module (Contivity VPN client v3.3 from Apani) as it seems to occur only when the VPN connection is active - even though the modules are always loaded.

With no errors/messages in any of the system logs following a freeze (crash, lockup, insert-your-favorite-word-here), how does one go about diagnosing a problem like this? It seems to be a common problem for many people (at least on fedoraforum.org). Anyone? Help would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth submitting a bug to bugzilla if the Contivity modules are suspected?

Thanks!
Steve