Accented characters on FC3

Hello,

I am a French-speaking user, but I always use the English versions of systems (Windows and Linux in English) as well as the US keyboard (QWERTY keyboard). It is common in the country due to our proximity to the US. Hence, in order to do accented characters, in the beginning on Windows I had to type the ALT-ASCII# combination to have the accented character I needed, then I switched to the US International layout so that I can use the combination ' + [letter] to have the accented character that I need without memorizing the ASCII codes.

When I switched to Linux (from Red Hat 6, currently using FC3), I kept the same strategy. I installed default language English and QWERTY keyboard, US International layout, etc.

Now, the problem I have is that I cannot produce the "c cédille" on Linux, which is the letter c with a comma-like sign underneath it, extensively used in french. On Windows, typing ' + c correctly produces the letter I need, but on Linux, the combination produces ć, which does not exist in French. Even when I access my Linux box from a terminal on Windows, the combination produces the correct letter on the Linux box.

How can I produce the letter I need on Linux ? French-speaking users in this list probably see what letter I'm talking about.

Also, still related to character sets, people that receive my emails (I use Evolution) say that some accented characters do not display properly. They all use Windows. I see that the default character set for Evolution is UTF-8. Should I change it to ISO-8859-1 ? Will this solve the problem ? Or will it now give problems for people I communicate with that use Linux ?

Thank you,
Stéphane
--
Stéphane Bruno <sbruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>