Re: Problem: "shutdown -h" can not automatically poweroff machine

ha haha wrote:
>  I got a problem described below:
>
>  "shutdown -h now" does not automatically poweroff my
> Intel Box. I have tried "halt -p", "poweroff" commands
> as well under runlevel 3 as well, they just doesn't
> poweroff my Linux box as well. The output of "shutdown
> -r now" on screen is:

>  md: stopping all md devices.
>  flushing ide devices.
>  powerdown.
>
>  At this time the SATA hard drives are still spinning
> -- I can hear the noice inside, and the system still
> responding to "ctrl-alt-del" -- will go to reboot if
> the key combination is hit.
>
>  I touch a file /poweroff and re-issue command
> "shutdown -r now", or "halt -p", the problem is still
> there.
>
>  The default Fedora Core installation which runs at
> Level 5 does poweroff Linux box for "shutdown -r now"
> , or "halt -p", or "poweroff".
>
>  Do I need to patch my kernel or the SysVinit rpm? or
> special options in kernel configuration? Please help.

So you can't automatically power down when you compile your own kernel?

Power down is a function either of APM or ACPI. You'll need to have one
or the other compiled and working.

I've tried to avoid HP boxes, finding them "odd" at best. It's quite
possible that it doesn't support the older APM standard. APM won't work
on systems with more than one processor (in use): I assume
hyperthreading makes a system multi-processor enough that APM won't work
there, either.

Fedora kernels have ACPI support.

Note that if ACPI is active, APM will not be active.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | (a) The Spanish Armadillo,