Re: RE:RE: Need More iptables Rules

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 11:08 -0400, Greg Swallow wrote:

> Ok, assigned 631 and 548 tcp and udp protocols in
> Security Levels:
>
> 631:tcp, 631:udp, 548:tcp, 548:udp

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you don't need UDP with IPP, just TCP.

> Now firewall no longer routes. dhcp does give ip, but nothing.

I think we need to know much more about your network configuration to
offer useful advice.

> Am connected outside my gigabit network to send this.
>
> iptable was created by hand. Does the GUI make a backup of
> the file. Hmm, probably gone anyway as I used GUI to remove
> the port asignments.

I don't think so.  I think it creates what's displayed in the GUI.
Prior versions always started afresh (making it impossible to modify
settings).

Have you "trusted" the local device interface?  If you can't do that,
because you want to trust some addresses through that device but not
others, I think you'll have to write manual iptables rules.  I did that
with my other Linux box, and I do it via a script.  I write rules in the
script, just the same as you'd type them into a CLI, and run the script
when done.  It makes the changes, and writes the rules into the standard
place the PC looks at while booting up.  It makes it easy for me to
modify rules, that way.

Have you enabled "masquerade", if you should?  My NAT machine isn't this
one, and is configured by hand.  So I've not used that option in the
GUI.  My behind the NAT box configurations have only the following

Trusted services:
x Secure WWW (HTTPS)
  FTP
x Mail (SMTP)