FC3, image orientation problem

Here's a weird one.  In FC3 I have this situation where I go to configure the screensaver as 'slideshow'.  I point it to the
 directory and all is well.  However when it pulls the images, it has some that are sideways.  Yet when I go into the File M
anager it displays the images as vertical, ie correctly oriented.  I can go into Kedit and do 'rotate counterclockwise' then save, and that fixes the problem -- but I am just wondering why this is happening and why it would only show up in some pics and not others?

Thanks
Marc