Re: Starting mysql and sendmail

On 8/24/05, Paul Lemmons <Paul.Lemmons@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> By default, sendmail is setup to only allow connections from the local
> box. So, you are "spam safe" in that regard.
>
> To change sendmail configuration you go to /etc/mail and edit the
> sendmail.mc file. Then do a make and a make install. Then a service
> sendmail restart.
>
> A real easy test of sendmail is to use the:
>
>    mail somebody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> command. It will pretty much only work on your local domain, though,
> unless your machine has both a DNS and Reverse DNS pointer on the
> internet. Most places validate that the sender is "real" before
> accepting email from them. They do this by looking at your IP address
> and doing a reverse lookup on it. If it finds you, you are let in. If
> not then your message is rejected.
>
> You can look at the status of messages that have not been sent
> successfully by issuing the "mailq" command.

According to phpinfo():
sendmail_path	/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

If it is important, there is nothing to ssh into. I'm doing this on my
home box. When I commanded:
 echo "test email message" | mail -s "this is a test" dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx
nothing was returned to the command line. But, no email was sent. In
TFA I found another varient, like this:
[root@localhost ~]# echo "hello dotan" | sendmail -v dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx
dotancohen@xxxxxxxxxxxx Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.4/8.13.4; Wed, 24 Aug
2005 01:49:50 +0300
>>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
250-localhost.localdomain Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1],
pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
AUTH=root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
250 2.1.0 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>... Recipient ok (will queue)
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
250 2.0.0 j7NMnopO008242 Message accepted for delivery
dotancohen@xxxxxxxxxxxx Sent (j7NMnopO008242 Message accepted for delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 localhost.localdomain closing connection
[root@localhost ~]#

but nothing in Gmail! I also tried with yahoo mail, which returned a
similar output as gmail, but also nothing in the inbox (or spambox).
Mailq returned this:
[root@localhost ~]# mailq
                /var/spool/mqueue (5 requests)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
j7NMnopO008242       12 Wed Aug 24 01:52 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                 (host map: lookup (gmail.com): deferred)
                                         <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
j7NN2sRj008364       12 Wed Aug 24 02:05 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                 (host map: lookup (yahoo.com): deferred)
                                         <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
j7NLLon4007218        6 Wed Aug 24 00:24 <apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                 (host map: lookup (dotancohen.com): deferred)
                                         <dotan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
j7NKuMAr006803        6 Tue Aug 23 23:59 <apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
j7NKu4nW006799        6 Tue Aug 23 23:58 <apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                 (host map: lookup (dotancohen.com): deferred)
                                         <dotan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Total requests: 5
[root@localhost ~]#

After spending some time STFA and STFW I have come to the conclusion
that the problem may be either SElinux related or due to the fact that
I have not set an email address for this machine (it all ends in
@localhost). Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks everybody. I really don't know where I'd be without you all.
Well, I do know, but I prefer not to think about that...

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/236/green_day.php
Green Day Song Lyrics