Scratchy Sound FC4

I have installed FC 4 on my workstation and have brought it “up 2 date” so I am current. It is working perfectly in every way but one. The sound is horrible!

I have Googled extensively and have found that I am not the only one experiencing the problem. I have yet to find a solution, though. I am hoping that the solution is known by someone on the list and I can get this fixed.

Here is what I have done with marginal success:

  • Opened KMixer and on the Output Tab turned off everything but the “Front” line in
  • On the Input tab turned both input sources off
  • On the switches tab turned off IEC958
  • I have tried adjusting various volumes

I am using XMMS to listen to MP3’s

Motherboard: MBD001246-01

Integrated Sound:

Intel High Definition audio subsystem based on the Realtek ALC860 audio codec

Integrated Network:

Marvellr YukonT 88E8050 PCI Express 1.0a

CODEC:

Realtek ALC860 Audio CODEC