RE: scp killing network interface on FC4

Some things to look at:

Are you getting interface errors:
> su -
# ifconfig -a

Look and see if it is reporting any errors.

Use ethtool to see how your nic connected to your network
> su -
# ethtool eth0

Look specifically at duplex and auto negotiation. It is a very common
occurrence (where I work anyway) for the card to auto-negotiate a duplex
that is inconsistent with how a switch is set. If this is what's up you
can use ethtool to fix the problem until the next reboot. If this is
indeed the problem and this fixes it you will want to make the change
permanent by updating the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
and adding a line to the bottom that looks something like:

ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"