Re: Rehashing My File Permissions Understanding(or lack of it)

Jay Paulson wrote:
I was under the impression that changing the umask was a possible security risk. Am I correct in thinking that?

Possibly, possibly not. Using a umask of 002 instead of 022 is something that Red Hat/Fedora specifically cater for. What this means is that woth a umask of 002, files are created with group write permissions by default, so if your default group is shared with a number of other people then they will be able to write to your files by default. However, in Red Hat/Fedora, every new user is created with their own group by default, which isn't shared with any other user. So enabling group write permission isn't a big issue. What this then lets you do is to create a separate group for shared data, and then everyone's default umask being 002 (if set that way) then makes it easy for all members to create and edit files with this shared groupid.

Paul.