Re: Can FC4.ppc be installed ... SOLVED

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:12:31 -0400, I beartooth oldfart wrote:

> cross-posted to gmane.linux.yellowdog.general and
> gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general; followups set to
> gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
>
> I have a G3 iBook ... But I have downloaded ISOs twice, and burned CD3
> three times, always checking sha sums, ... Out of all my attempts, most
> won't even boot into the FC4 install; the one time one did, it couldn't
> get past the first CD. .... am I barking up yet another wrong tree?
>
> (I'm beginning to think of applying the big hammer -- a sixteen-pound
> sledgehammer -- after setting the iBook on a convenient solid stump
> ....)

An outfit I hadn't heard of turned out to be better than the sledgehammer;
somebody recommended pctech101.com on a LUG near me; I ordered; the CDs
came very promptly; all five passed the media check -- and what's more,
they worked.

FC4.ppc is now installed, tweaked, and busily updating on our
G3 iBook. That doesn't tell me where the trouble was; but I know where I'm
getting my new releases from now on. <grin>

What's still more, this means we are now a one-OS outfit, except when I
have to boot the EvilOS (XP) special-purpose machine to do GPS-topo map
stuff.

The best of weekends to all!

--
Beartooth Oldfart, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan
0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; Dillo 0.8.5, Opera 8.02, Firefox 1.0.6, Epiphany