Re: Logging out changes screen resolution.

Tim wrote:

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 06:23 -0500, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Well here is the thing. The file libvgahw.a is hinky on some hardware
in FC4. So there are two possible solutions. The one I know works is
to copy that file from a FC3 system. And I think updating the rpm that
gives us that file might solve some of your problems. Or maybe not,
but it is worth a try.

Thanks, that did the trick for me.  I copied the file from a Fedora Core
3 Linux system I have installed, and all's working smoothly (as far as I
can tell).  I haven't tried updating the RPM it comes from,
specifically, as I've already done all the proper updates for everything
that's installed, beforehand.

Replacing libvgahw.a is all that is needed right now. There is a version of xorg-x11 that has a fix (compiled w/ a debugged/later version of GCC4). The upcoming version worked fine on my Intel 815 w/ o the need to change the file. From Kristian Høgsberg, comment #153 in bug 161242.

excerpt:

I've updated the RPMs to disable the gcc miscompilation workaround, since
gcc-4.0.1-4 now has a fix for the problem.  xorg-x11-6.8.2-45 should be in
rawhide soon, in the meantime I've put up -45 RPMs built with the new gcc here:

 http://people.redhat.com/krh/xorg-x11-6.8.2-45/

Please give them a try so we can see if the gcc fix works as intended. Thanks!

Jim

--
Windows: Where do you WANT to go TODAY? You WANT to, but you'll never
get there. And you can go to only ONE place per day.